Sunday, October 02, 2005

Good news from Borland

As you may know, What's Running is mainly developed using Delphi 6, with some parts in a C++ dll. Having been a long time fan of Delphi, starting from Delphi 1 and Borland Pascal, I haven't really seen the need to upgrade from Delphi 6 to any of the newer versions.

I have for a long time also been doing development in Visual Studio .NET and it is very obvious that not only have Microsoft caught up in many respects, with the public information available about VS.NET 2005, Microsoft is ahead. Keeping in mind that for most people Microsoft is a safer choice, especially if you talk to a customer about your choices.

Borland needs to be ahead of Microsoft to succeed, and you as an individual developer need to believe that there is a future. I haven't really seen any good future for Delphi, but the latest roadmap from Borland makes me think the future is looking good. The roadmap might actually be what brings confidence back in the Delphi product line. Confidence for developers means confidence for customers.

Atleast, it does the trick for me. Dexter might be the next upgrade for me.

There is still no doubt in my mind that for a Win32 developer, there is no single development environment that makes you more productive than Delphi. I'd just love to see a 64-bit future for that - as indicated here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home